Monday, February 18, 2008

The Resurrection of..."THE OOKIE COOKIE"!!!

Dear friends,
I haven't been writing for a long long time. As much as I like cooking and boasting about new recipes I've tried in my solitude here in Montreal, it doesn't give me the same boost as writing Crazy E-mails and Foodietales and wacky stories.

Ookie Cookie is a story I've been trying to write for the longest time. The problem is that even though I have all these ideas floating around in my head, it takes me forever to put them down because I'm so focused on writing the most perfect sentences. So, as a way of getting back to writing and also forcing myself to keep doing it, I've decided to write one new paragraph of Ookie Cookie every week. I would love any feedback you have about my writing.

Ookie Cookie was born from a random song Linda was singing to herself one day in my car:
Ookie Cookie
Ookie Cookie
I want a cookie!
(repeat)

The Lord of the Rings movies had just come out and we thought of an idea of a character going on an epic quest for a mythical cookie. We had no real idea of where the story would go from there, but I planned to soak the story with WSS in-jokes and references. At one point, we were actually thinking of "Ookie Cookie: The Musical", so if this works out and I'm not completely rhyme-dead, I will also be writing lyrics to various songs that would feature in such a musical.

Some song ideas right now are:
The Ookie Cookie Song
What Rhymes with Potato?
That Cookie Better Be Vegan!

For now, I'm posting Chapter 1: In which the adventure begins, Section A that I wrote a few years ago.

******************************************************

Deep in the Land of Idunnowat, fairies in wispy dresses made of mist (dyed with fruit juice, in the case of the vainer of our winged friends) chatter and giggle late into the night, sitting cross-legged in their mulberry tree nests. When bored with the latest gossip about the Fairy of Sunflowers courting the Fairy of Mischief, they creep out from behind the leaves and take to the air, after peeping to make sure no one is around. One of their favourite activities is to fly through the open windows of sleeping humans and tickle the big pink ears or toes with dandelion puffs.

Such is the fluffy nonsense that the inhabitants of Land of Idunnowat believed, for they were very silly. Each and every one of them was an oddball, a nutjob or a weirdo, but it won’t do to call them such names, as they preferred the term “whimsically eccentric”. Good sense was frowned upon; it was a good thing too. When was the last time anyone had a smashing good time after someone had uttered the words, “You know, my good sense tells me…”? Anyone so practical as to say such things was immediately banished from the Land of Idunnowat to a grey and desolate country filled with math teachers, philosophers, astrobiologists and other miscellaneous people who belonged to the category of “No Fun Crankypants”. The population of Idunnowat dwindled somewhat, but the remaining citizens lived quite happily and peacefully, basking – and sometimes even suntanning – in the silliness of each other and the world around them.

One such silly person was Linda Purplefork, who lived in the hollowed-out centre of a giant oak in the north corner of Idunnowat. The idea of living in a tree, as well as being terribly romantic, was also terribly convenient, for the hollowed-out centre of the giant oak formed the ideal cylindrical shape for her library. She ordered special shelves that curved inward to fit the shape of the walls perfectly, as well as a ladder that rolled along the library walls for easy access. That was the main reason for her to build this custom library. In her previous house, the library formed a heptagon, which was most inconvenient for ladders and Linda was forced to huff and puff as she dragged hers from shelf to shelf. The contractor and the real estate agent who suggested that she simply buy custom shelves that fit the heptagonal walls and form a circle with the inner edge – instead of moving to a new house with a cylindrical shape – were both sacked and booted out of Idunnowat. Linda had no patience for sensible types.

******************************************************

Up until this point, I was on a roll. I knew exactly what words I wanted to use and the tone I wanted to convey. More to come!

1 comment:

JG said...

Hey! Math teachers don't belong among the "No Fun Crankypants" types! :P