Thursday, May 1, 2008

French vocab exercise 008

Exsultate, jubilate,
O vos animae beatae
exsultate, jubilate,
dulcia cantica canendo;
cantui vestro
psallant aethera cum me.

Rejoice, for exams are over!
I had my one and a half day of leisure, which was spent inevitably on cleaning the apartment, which I hadn't been doing for 2 weeks. I still want to scrub down the fridge and it's gnawing away at my brain, but I'll have time enough tomorrow to get that done.

I have to work harder at my French now, because I don't have classes anymore where I can use it. There's a good chance that I might get Francophone clients when clinicals start next week. I hope they're understanding of the fact that I don't really know many medical terms. ^_^;;

About the vocab exercise today, I like to think of it as part of the story between le Dr Maillat and Madame Pompadou. Just a hint of what happened between them before the very first exercise where he left her. I know. I'm goofy and nonsensical.

-accabler: to overwhelm, to overcome
accabler qqn de: to overwhelm someone with
accablant: oppressive, damning, exhausting
accablement: dejection, despondency

-accalmie: lull, temporary improvement

-accaparer: to monopolize, to carry off
accaparant: demanding
accaparement: monopolization

-accéder: to accede to, to give rise to, to reach
accédant à la propriété: a new homeowner

-accélérer: to accelerate, to increase
s'accélérer: to beat faster
accélérateur: accelerating, accelerator
accélération: acceleration
accéléré: fast

De plus en plus, la vitesse de sa parole accélérait et ses pensées sont devenues plus désorganisées. Il n'y avait pas d'accalmie de l'aboiement. Il ne pouvait plus tolérer la tempête de sa mauvaise humeur et il est sorti pour échapper à sa colère accablante. Dehors, ses émotions ont accédé à la décision la plus difficile de sa vie. Il ne pouvait pas permettre à lui de accaparer toute son énergie. Il devait partir.

Translation:
More and more, her speech accelerated and her thoughts became more disorganized. There was no respite from her ravings. He could not tolerate the storm of her temper any longer and he left to escape from her overwhelming anger. Outside, his emotions gave rise to the most difficult decision of his life. He could not allow her to monopolize all of his energy. He had to leave.

1 comment:

julie said...

I still want to scrub down the fridge and it's gnawing away at my brain

The stuff inside your fridge has managed to affect your brain already, that's either some hell of fridge slime pungent odors or, um, ah, my imagination is just too vivid. Ew.