Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cooking Attempts 41~42: Mmm~

Egg roll: 달걀말이
It's not the egg rolls that you get with Chinese food. It's basically an omelet that's rolled up. They sell square frying pans at the Korean market so that you can make a neat roll, but it's easy enough using a round one. You can mix in whatever you want (as long as it doesn't have too high a water content), but I chose chopped up kimchi. It was really easy to make. I used 3 eggs. Heat up the pan with oil, pour the mixture in. When it's about half cooked, instead of flipping the whole thing, turn the heat off and gently start rolling from one corner. Wait for it to cool in the pan so that it sticks and then cut into neat little pieces.

I think next time, I'll try a mix of cheese, green onions and red pepper.



Mackerel Radish Stew: 고등어무조림
It's not really a stew, because the liquid is simmered away as much as possible. But the closest translation is a stew, according to Yahoo's Korean dictionary. So! Cut some white radish (daikon) into bite-size pieces and line the bottom of a pot.

Cut some onions and layer on top of the daikon pieces.
I used frozen mackerel chunks that my parents brought for me from Toronto. They say that fatty fish are best for this recipe. I mixed chili paste, soy sauce, honey, chili powder, garlic and ginger and splooshed on top of the fish.
Then I put in just enough water to cover the whole thing. I also threw in some dashi (hard dried seaweed used to make fish stock) for extra flavour. Then I boiled at high heat for 15 minutes, medium heat for 15 minutes and low heat until the water had reduced to a sauce. The liquid from the daikon and onions thickens it just enough. The key is not to stir it while it's boiling. Otherwise the fish will break off into small chunks and disappear instead of staying nicely together like this!
I also threw in some chopped green onions just before turning off the heat altogether. It was really yummy. My first fish dish! ^_^

3 comments:

JG said...

After the exam... I'm making both of these things! (or something similar - been a while since I did much with fish!)

DasolC said...

맛이겠다~ ㅠ_ㅠ

DasolC said...

맛있겠다~ ㅠ_ㅠ