Saturday, December 8, 2007

A new challenge! - 새로운 도전! - Une nouvelle challenge!

When I was just 9 years old and just starting to get a grasp of English in Toronto, my mother decreed that I should write my diary in three different languages. It didn't matter, she said, if they weren't grammatically perfect as long as I tried. (Can you tell she's a teacher?) Well, she expected my Korean at least to be spotless. My Korean is still awesome (and I'm damn proud of it too), but I'm starting to lose some words, so I'm going to be bringing back the trilingual diary entries in this blog. The entries will not be exact translations of each other, because that is impossible, as I've stressed many times before. However, I will do my best to not slack off in the translation. Oh and hey, you can always put the translations into Babelfish for a good laugh!

내가 토론토에서 처음으로 영어가 귀에 들어오기 시작한 꽃다운 아홉살이었을 때, 엄마가 일기를 세가지 언어로 쓰길 바라셨다. 엄마는 문법이 틀려도 괜찮으니 그냥 열심히 쓰면 된다고 하셨다. (선생님이셨다는 게 짐작가지 않는가?) 그래도 한글만은 완벽하길 강요하셨다. 내 한글은 아직도 거의 완벽하지만 (엄청 자랑스럽게 생각하고 있다) 단어들이 서서히 지워지는 것 같아서 다시 삼개 국어 일기를 시작한다. 내가 전에 몋번이나 강조했듯이, 완벽한 번역은 무가능하지만 할 수 있는만큼 뜻이 맞게 써보겠다. 바벨피쉬에 넣어보면 재미있지 않을까?

Quand j'avais 9 ans et commençais à comprendre l'anglais à Toronto, ma mère a décrété que je devrais écrire mon journal en trois langues. Ça ne fait rien, elle a dit, si la grammaire n'est pas parfaite pourvu que j'essayais. (C'est evident qu'elle étais une professeur, n'est-ce pas?) Eh bien, elle a demandé que mon coréen au moins d'être parfait. Mon coréen est encore impressionant (et je suis très fière), mais je commence à perdre les mots, alors je vais restaurer les notations trilingues dans ce blog. Les notations ne seront pas de translations exactes, parce que c'est impossible, comme j'avais dit plusieurs fois. Toutefois, je vais essayer de ne pas relâcher dans les translations. Hé, vous pouvez les mettre dans Babelfish pour rigoler!

No comments: