Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cooking Attempt #43: 칼국수 (Korean noodle soup)

칼 - knife
국수 - noodles

So...knife noodles?

I guess this would be like the Korean version of ramen in Japan? I'm not sure how they make their noodles for ramen, but for 칼국수, you make a dough with flour, water, salt and egg. Then you roll it out and cut it into long thin strips. These are then tossed straight into the pot when the soup portion is ready.

Of course I didn't make the noodles myself. I bought ready made noodles from the Korean market. You have to buy fresh noodles, because dry noodles aren't as yummy.

I made the broth with dry anchovies and dashi (standard broth making ingredients in Korea). Then tossed in potato, onion, mushrooms and green onion. The seasoning was made with chili paste, miso paste, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. You have to make sure that there is a lot of broth for each portion, because the noodles soak up quite a bit of moisture as it cooks. Right before I turned off the heat, I swirled in an egg. Mmmm~~~

1 comment:

JG said...

At some point you should really think about writing a cookbook. Seriously. I get to sample everything.