Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cooking Attempt #46: 궁중떡볶이

궁중 = Royal Court (goong-joong)
떡 = rice cake (ddeok)
볶이 = stir fry (bok-ee)

This is a dish that was served at court years ago. It's sort of related to this recipe, which was invented in the 1950s and is a favourite snack food especially among students.

It was really easy to make, considering it's supposed to be something that was served to royalty.

First, I took some frozen rice cake (it has to be little cylinders, not balls or slices) and dunked it into boiling water for a few seconds. Then I dunked it in cold water, drained it and tossed it with a bit of sesame oil. This was set aside.

I had some frozen ground beef and frozen veggie mix (Asian mix?) that I wanted to use up. Some kind of thinly sliced beef and julienned vegetables are ideal. The vegetables should be softer ones (you know, not potatoes or something). I started by cooking the beef with salt and pepper in a frying pan, then added the veggie mix. While I had that going, I made the sauce with soy sauce, garlic, pepper, tiny bit of ginger powder, sesame oil and honey. I tossed in the rice cake and sauce at the same time and stirred it around until everything was cooked through.

Before eating, I sprinkled on some roasted sesame seeds. Yum!

No comments: