Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cooking Attempt #45: 김치전 (Kimchi pancakes)

김치 = kimchi
전 = pancake (jeon)

I made this back in October, but just forgot to post it, I suppose. The key to making kimchi pancakes is to have ripe kimchi. Kimchi is very finicky, you see. It's very good when it's first made, then as it ferments, it goes through several stages.

Fresh --> wonky --> ripe --> vinegary --> mature (this is after spending about 2 years in proper storage and as a result, it's very hard to find).

I had some kimchi that was about to go vinegary (a few months after being made, I guess?), so I decided to use it up.

It's really easy. First you squeeze out the kimchi juice (to prevent your batter from becoming too watery and spicy). Then dice up the kimchi into itty bitty pieces. You add flour and water to make it into a runny batter (you know...like pancakes!).



Then you heat a pan with some oil and make a nice little cake. When one side's done, just flip it over once and cook the other side.




I just discovered the "Enhance Color" function in Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It's awesome. Makes the colour of food really pop, don't you think?

No comments: