Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Cooking Attempt #3: Latkes

I was recently asked, "Why latkes?"

You don't understand. I spent my childhood with friends from Yorkhill E.S. who taunted me every winter about latkes and the goodness of latkes and oh, how they couldn't wait for Hannukkah.

And I would go home and daydream about latkes while eating rice cake soup (traditional Korean New Year's dish) with kimchi and all the 반찬.

I've been waiting for this moment for 14 bloody years and lo, I have done it! Why latkes?

Because I had lots of potatoes and eggs.


I chose the simplest recipe I could find on the internet (basically, just potatoes, onions and eggs) and went at it. I know it just looks like a giant blob, but I assure you that there are at least 10 latkes on that plate. The thing in the middle is sour cream. I honestly had no idea I would end up with so many. Guess I'll be eating latkes for awhile. Yay!

Note for next time: If I make the potato pieces smaller, does that improve the texture? Also, I've seen recipes with all sorts of extra crap like baking powder and whatnot. Do I really need those? Very very curious, indeed.

2 comments:

Tara O'Neill said...

hey judy! The teaching is going well. We are starting to get busy now with lesson planning and such. I love the kids. Although, there is this REALLY loud family with like, 3 little kids that cry and whine all the time. Its kind of clouding my view of kids being perfect. It is so much louder here than in Canada. There are people all over, at all times of the day and there are lots of drunk people at night. They really do love soju here. I miss you though. I wish we were making stupid jokes all day together. How's life besides latkes?

Ladyjutea said...

Ah~ our silly silly puns. I miss all your jokes! It's nice to hear that you're using Korean. I wish I could have taught you so much more.

Nursing is great, but I'm starting to think that all these readings are indoctrinating me to THE MCGILL MODEL OF NURSING! I may start carrying around a little red book and start all my sentences with "The McGill stand is that...".

Have you tried soju yet? I can't have any because I don't like the smell. Enjoy every moment! Try different kinds of foods!

Miss you lots!