Tuesday, September 4, 2007

After watching movies all weekend, I must conclude that Koreans are either incredibly inane or exquisitely precise in their revenge.

Having been more or less inert during the entire long weekend in my typical lazybum fashion, I have perched my butt once more on my Ikea kitchen chair and compose my thoughts once more. (Seriously though, if I ever express to you an intention of watching a Korean romantic comedy, shoot me. The most inane nonsensical things I've ever seen in my life - and I've watched both Mortal Kombat movies - continue to be produced in a country whose film industry is quite well thought-of when one considers its violent thrillers and revenge flicks. We are nothing without our heroes pulling out teeth and cutting off fingers.)

Today was my first day at school. I left 40 minutes before class, which I then repented due to the inevitable result of me having to sit and wait for over 20 minutes for class to begin. Call it overzealousness, I don't know.

The first class was Research in Nursing and the professor let us leave as soon as she finished the introduction. That was okay with me, because it was FREEZING in that classroom. It was a sign of things to come.

I took that time off to warm up a bit in the sun, like a snake slithering out from under its rock to bask in the glittering morning light. (My prose is a bit frou-frou, but sooner or later, I'm going to get writing assignments and I need to practice, you dig?)

Then there was the Therapeutical Relationships in Nursing. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what I'll be learning in that course. I found out that we're going to be visiting patients with in partners for 1.5 hours every week. I did not know that. Hopefully it won't be awkward as my nursing home volunteering experience. I hope my partner is someone with a decent sense of humour. I am full of hopes.

Development over the Lifespan was three hours long. It's rather unfortunate that the professor stutters a bit. I don't know if she was feeling ill, because she kept coughing and losing her place. Not that I was paying much attention, because all McGill classrooms are colder than a meat locker and I was trying to will myself out of hypothermia. The good news is that half the classes are going to be spent in group discussions, which should be less dry than straightforward lecturing. We named our group The Rebel Sharks, because we couldn't think of anything nursing-related. So when other groups started introducing themselves as The TLC, The Healing Touch, The Red Nurses (McGill's school colour is red) and so forth, we were absentminded scratching our heads. At least The Rebel Sharks sounds better than The Dromedary. I mean, really!

So, nothing too exciting. I haven't met anyone yet (other than my group members), but I'm not really disposed to go in search of people either. It's not my style. That didn't help so much at U of T, where thousands of people just mill around without so much as a hello, but maybe in this intimate program, I'll be able to find people that I can really get along with, without having to censure the more...eccentric facets of my nature.

Fingers crossed, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sharks?

You gotta choose your discussion group, Jutea! *snaps fingers*