Tuesday, April 15, 2008

French vocab exercise 005

Health and Physical Assessment exam went pretty well, although I think I could have studied the chapter on breasts a bit better. Ah wellity wellity...

The next exam is French Grammar on Friday, so I think this is a pretty good way to study. Next 10 words from the dictionary!

-abricot: apricot
abricotier: apricot tree

-abriter: to shelter, to house, to shade
abrité: sheltered
abrivent: windbreak
abri: shelter, refuge
à l'abri: in a safe place
à l'abri de: sheltered/hidden from
Abribus: bus shelter

-abroger: to repeal, to rescind, to abrogate
abrogation: repeal

-abrupt: steep, abrupt, sheer
abruptement: abruptly, brusquely, curtly

-abrutir: to turn into an idiot, to stupefy
s'abrutir: to turn into an idiot
abruti: idiot
abrutissant: mindnumbing
abrutissement: mindless state

-abscisse: abscissa - x-coordinate of a point

-abscons: abstruse

-absenter: to be absent
absence: absence
absent: absent or absentee

-abside: apse
absidiole: apsidiole

-absinthe: absinthe

J'ai tombé sur l'abruti abrité sous un abricotier. Il était mort ivre à l'absinthe. Je l'ai secoué par les épaules et il s'est réveillé abruptement. Le pauvre rustre serrait un papier jauni par le temps dans ses mains tremblants. Il a dit, "Ont-ils abrogé la loi contre des pirates? Monsieur? Aidez-moi." J'ai pris le papier, qui était une carte d'un église. Une abside était marqué d'une croix rouge à côté de laquelle quelqu'un avait gribouillé, "Mais où est l'abscisse?" J'ai rendu le papier à l'homme qui marmonnait tout seul. J'ai cueilli un abricot de l'arbre en prenant une petite bouteille de ma poche. J'ai tapoté quelques gouttes de la liquide qui sentait l'amande sur le fruit que j'ai donné au fou. Il l'a englouti à toute vitesse. Peu après, j'étais tout seul sous l'abricotier dans le champ jaune.

Wow. I really don't mean for these things to be so bloody bleak. It started off like a pale imitation of Alphonse Daudet, with the rustic atmosphere and such. A better imitation would be, you know, better written and probably in passé simple, which I don't know how to use quite yet. Ah well. Perhaps another time.

Translation:
I came across the fool, sheltered under an apricot tree. He was dead drunk from absinthe. I shook him by the shoulders and he awoke abruptly. The poor brute held a piece of yellowing paper in his trembling hands. He said, "Have they repealed the law against pirates? Sir? Help me." I took the paper, which was a map of a church. An apse was marked by a red X next to which someone had scribbled, "But where is the x-coordinate?" I handed the paper back to the man who was now muttering to himself. I plucked an apricot from the tree while taking a small bottle from my pocket. I tapped a few drops of the almond-smelling liquid on the fruit and gave it to the madman. He gobbled it up quickly. It was not long before I was all alone under the apricot tree in the yellow field.

2 comments:

JG said...

It's a curious little story. Passe simple isn't that hard to use - you just replace the passe compose with the simple "literary" form and leave everything else the same. (that's what I remember anyway...)

Ladyjutea said...

I never really learned the passé simple form, though I think there must be a section about it in the book that I bought. It could really change the tone of the piece. ^_^