Tuesday, April 15, 2008

French vocab exercise 006

Two vocab exercises in one day? Gasp!
I just can't seem to study French without getting bored, so I figure this is a distraction that still contributes to my learning.

This composition is a continuation of the first exercise with a dash of the second thrown in. It's very soap opera, but one does what one can with five words.

-absolu: complete
absolument: entirely

-absorber: to soak up, to blot
absorption: swallowing, taking, apsorption, assimilation

-absoudre: to absolve
absolution: absolution

-s'abstenir: to abstain, to refrain
abstinence: abstinence

-abstraire: to abstract
s'abstraire: to cut oneself off
abstraction: abstraction
faire abstracton de: to take no account of, to ignore, to disregard
abstrait: abstract
abstraitement: abstractly

Le Docteur Maillat était absolument absorbé par ses pensées quand l'abbot l'a trouvé dans la chambre d'audience. "J'ai entendu que vous vouliez me voir, mais je ne vous connais pas, Monsieur."
Le Docteur l'a interrompu, "Pardonnez-moi pour avoir venu sans introduction, mais j'ai découvert que vous étiez présent quand Madame Pompadou était mourante."
"Abstenez-vous de continuer votre histoire, Monsieur. Je ne peux pas tromper la confiance d'un âme au supplice, mais je vous offre l'absolution pour vos actions."
Le pauvre homme s'est mis à genoux pour l'implorer, mais l'abbot a fait abstraction de son douleur et est sorti sans un autre mot.
Après quelques minutes de silence, le Dr Maillat a pris contrôle de ses émotions, s'est levé lentement et est sorti de la chambre.

Translation:

Dr. Maillat was completely absorbed in his thoughts when the abbot found him in the audience chamber. "I heard that you wanted to see me, but I do not know you, sir."
The doctor interrupted, "Excuse me for having come without an introduction, but I found out that you were present when Madame Pompadou was dying."
"Refrain from continuing, sir. I cannot betray the confidence of a soul in torment, but I offer you absolution for your actions."
The poor man dropped to his knees to beg, but the abbot ignored his pain and left without another word.
After a few minutes of silence, Dr. Maillat controlled his emotions, stood up slowly and left the room.

Ah, where do I get such stuff? All of a sudden, I want to read Count of Monte Cristo again.

1 comment:

JG said...

I want to start reading it too... good summer reading, I think.