Saturday, November 8, 2008

Buh-whaaaa?

So I've been watching quite a bit of anime lately. I started watching the second season of Saiunkoku Monogatari again, which I abandoned for 2 months, because I became annoyed with a side story that did not involve any of the characters that I liked. More specifically,
1) The Hot Emperor
2) The Hot General
3) The Hot Bodyguard, who is actually the secret older brother of the Hot Emperor
4) The Hot Civil Affairs Minister
5) The Hot Kooky Genius, who is the younger brother of the Hot General
6) The Hot Deputy Governor, who is kind of like a Hot Robin Hood character

But I went back to it, because I was feeling kind of burned out after the midterms and thought that the elation of recognizing random Japanese words would be good for taking my mind off nursing stuff.

Then I came to this line:



Let me explain what the characters are talking about. Two minor characters who may or may not be nefarious are talking about the main character, who is the typical plucky do-gooder heroine (what I like to call the Anne of Green Gables syndrome). One of them says something about the main character reminding him of a peach and the other comes out with this gem.

First, who does that to a peach? One usually eats a peach, plays around with the pit for awhile and maybe boil it in some water to make a cyanide concoction if one happens to be a low-level assassin with no access to murder supplies. My point is that no normal person feels compelled to crush a perfectly good peach for no good reason just so that he can drop it into a massive (huge!) abyss. What if there is no 10000 foot abyss nearby?

Then I thought, well maybe it makes more sense in Japanese. Perhaps there's some particular idiom that's difficult to understand in English. Since Korean has a closer sensibility to Japanese, I translated it into Korean in my head and no, it doesn't make sense then either.

Perhaps I shouldn't be thinking so much about this, but I find that there's been a lack of crazy randomness in my life recently and I am due for a recharge. Like a sunflower out of the sun, I wilt and droop without the whirl of insanity around me. No one does crazy like the WSS. T_T *sniff sniff*

6 comments:

JG said...

The question is, do the series have anything approaching "equal opportunity" fan service?

Ladyjutea said...

Well...there is a minor character, who's a "geisha" of sorts. She runs the biggest brothel in town and she's secretly the leader of a criminal organization (but somehow sympathetic?). She's boobalicious, I guess. But other than her, no. It is a shoujo after all.

julie said...

I love that line and am going to use it the next time someone asks me why I don't like peaches! (Can't stand 'em. Don't want to look at them, touch them, or smell them, let alone crush them - though I am totally down with the idea of pitching one into a really, really deep abyss.)

Deborah said...

Hahahaha!



..awesome.

Kevin Lau said...

I could eat a peach for hours!

Anonymous said...

strangely enough kou shurei (the heroine for those who dont know) kinda reminds me of you

you're slowly being converted into an anime fan girl =p