Saturday, November 29, 2008

These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Being a nurse means having to maneuver yourself around many people, each with different interests and priorities. It's a lot of reading moods, figuring out personalities, probing emotions and gentle nudging. It would be draining if I didn't thrive on such delicate interactions. My clinical teacher said that I was manipulative, which sounds bad if you take it at face value. But consider what I've been learning in class for the past year and a half about eliciting information that you want, figuring out people's wants and needs, urging them to see things in a different light (your way) to get them to do what you want. Officially, these techniques are supposed to be for clients, but why not for all the other people you have to work with? Nurses, technicians, clerks, doctors, orderlies, housekeeping staff, client's families, volunteers...the list goes on and on.

If I can manipulate a student doctor into seeing a client's family immediately, is that wrong? If I can get a resident to change a prescription right now so that it's easier for the client to take his medication, is that so bad? Or am I simply Alec Guiness guiding a doofusy-haired kid and two droids through a checkpoint? No one thinks he's a conniving schemer.

So until I somehow grow some damn midichlorians in my blood (or simply learn The Force, according to purists), I will be refining my techniques of "manipulation". After all, you can be sure that I won't use it for evil. Right?

Right?

Excellent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right as usual, your Majesty!

JG said...

It's only manipulation if the other person feels manipulated. And anyway - the Force can have a powerful influence over the weak-minded.

Move along...